Coaches VS Cancer
COACHES VS CANCER
Email your information to firstname.lastname@example.org
2022-23 Information – Please see below:
January once again has been designated as “Coaches vs. Cancer” month by the IBCA for high school basketball in Indiana in the 2022-23 season. This is the 16th season that the IBCA has supported such an initiative.
This year, we are asking all coaches to get involved in this initiative by taking these simple steps:
- Pick a date in January for a “Coaches vs. Cancer” game to benefit the American Cancer Society. (Note: If you use the term “Coaches vs. Cancer,” which is trademarked, the net proceeds must go to the American Cancer Society; if your event benefits another organization, you need to use another term to label it.). If January doesn’t work, feel free to select a date that works for you and host a “Coaches vs. Cancer” game sometime during your season.
- Select a CVC champion to help host the game. We know you and your players are busy during the season, which is why nominating a student, teacher, parent or community member close to the program is a great way to create the best CVC experience without overburdening you and your team.
- Connect with your local American Cancer Society staff Once you have selected a date and CVC Champion, connect with your local American Cancer Society staff. They are here to help support your efforts in any way possible. If you are unsure who your local contact is, feel free to reach out to Michael Smith. Michael can be reached at email@example.com. As you work to identify your “Coaches vs. Cancer” game, please alert Michael so he may assist with logistics and connect you with the best local American Cancer Society representative to help you with fund-raising ideas and details for your game.
- Once you have determined the date for your Cancer-benefit game, please e-mail this info to Gene Milner (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can list the game dates on our IBCA calendar of games to benefit cancer charities.
The American Cancer Society will present banners to programs that meet certain levels of donations. Categories are Champion ($10,000 or more), MVP ($5,000 to $9,999) and All Star ($2,500 to $4,999). To be eligible, all funds raised during the school year must be turned into the local American Cancer Society office no later than June 1, 2023. For accounting purposes, it helps tremendously if funds can be reported and turned in by March 15, 2023.
After the game, we ask you to do the following:
- E-mail Gene Milner email@example.com to let him know how much money was collected and to what charity it was donated if other than the American Cancer Society.
- Call Bob Lovell of Indiana SportsTalk and let him know how much you collected.
- Send a check for the amount collected (payable to the “American Cancer Society”) to Steve Witty, P.O. Box 638, Plainfield, IN 46168, who will forward it to the Coaches vs. Cancer office. If you prefer, you may work directly with Michael Smith or local staff to deliver your check.
“Coaches vs. Cancer is an amazing way to encourage team unity, build school spirit, support those in the community who have been touched by cancer and fight back against a disease that has taken so much! Please make plans now to include a “Coaches vs. Cancer” game on your schedule for the 2019-20 season. Our goal is 100 percent participation of all high schools in Indiana!
Please contact Michael Smith at ACS today. firstname.lastname@example.org
American Cancer Society, Inc. | North Central Region
Here is a list of schools that took part in the fight against cancer during the 2021-22 season.
IBCA INTIATIVE AGAINST CANCER EVENTS (2020-21)
Batesville B & G $1,168.50 The Hansen Center, Batesville
Beech Grove B $500.00 Matt English Foundation
Bloomfield G $200.00 Pink Ladies Fund
Brownsburg B & G $200.00 American Cancer Society
^^ Brownstown Central G $1,200.00 Warrior Bags (cancer support program)
Chesterton G $650.00 American Cancer Society
^ Connersville B $2,000.00 Fayette County Cancer Society
Crawfordsville G $300.00 Lace Up For Pediatric Cancer
Danville G $845.15 American Cancer Society
Delta B $2,700.00 fund for cancer-afflicted local student
Eastern Greene B $100.00 American Cancer Society (Greene County Relay for Life)
Evansville Christian B $1,500.00 St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Floyd Central G $170.00 Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Forest Park B $774.25 American Cancer Society
Fort Wayne Concordia G $470.75 American Cancer Society
^ Franklin County B $13,000.00 American Cancer Society
Garrett G $2,600.00 Cancer Services of Northeast Indiana
Gibson Southern G $1,500.00 American Cancer Society (Gibson County Relay for Life)
Greenfield-Central B $0.00 Cancer Awareness Night (but no funds raised)
Hamilton Southeastern G $520.00 Susan G. Komen Foundation
Hamilton Heights G $2,500.00 IWIN Foundation
Henryville B $500.00 American Cancer Society
Heritage Hills B $2,103.42 Cruz Barnett and Family
Indianapolis Tech B $250.00 American Cancer Society
Jasper B $705.00 Dubois County Leukemia Assocation
Kankakee Valley G $903.00 American Cancer Society
Lake Central G $337.00 local St. Jude House
Lanesville B $347.00 American Cancer Society
Lanesville G $402.00 American Cancer Society
Lawrenceburg B $3,452.00 Lauren Hill and Brady Gabbard scholarship funds
Lawrenceburg G $3,291.50 IWIN Foundation
Martinsville B $500.00 funds for two cancer-afflicted local families
New Palestine B $4,000.00 fund for cancer-afflicted local student
North Judson G $300.00 fund for cancer-afflicted local family
Northeast Dubois B $2,685.00 Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke University
Norwell G $758.14 Friends Who Care Cancer Relief Foundation
Perry Central B $3,400.00 fund for cancer-afflicted local family
Plainfield B $15,000.00 Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Providence G $100.00 Jimmy V. Foundation
Rossville B&G $2,000.00 fund for cancer-afflicted local student
^^ Seymour G $208.00 Warrior Bags (cancer support program)
Shelbyville B&G $1,219.00 American Cancer Society (Shelby County Relay for Life)
South Central (Elizabeth) G $244.00 American Cancer Society
Southport G $742.00 Pink Ribbon Connection
Speedway B $3,381.00 Matt English Foundation
Speedway G $335.00 American Cancer Society
Taylor B $1,500.00 fund for cancer-afflicted local family
Tri-County G $4,000.00 fund for cancer-afflicted local family
Triton Central G $25,732.75 IWIN Foundation
Union County B & G $500.00 Union County Cancer Society
Valparaiso G $435.00 American Cancer Society
** Warren Central B & G $7,500.00 IWIN Foundation
Westfield B & G $160.00 American Cancer Society
Woodlan G $1,100.00 Cancer Services of Northeast Indiana
Zionsville B $780.00 American Cancer Society
Zionsville G $1,500.00 local family in need
Total (as of March 20, 2022) $123,469.46
^ joint effort in Feb. 18 game at Connersville
^^ joint effort in Dec 2 game at Brownstown Central
** Warren Central funds raised all you through multiple athletic programs, including basketball